Monday, October 18, 2010

Love vs. Indifference

"If you believe in heaven and hell, how much do you have to hate someone to not proselytize them?" (Penn Jillette from Penn & Teller)

I remember hearing this quote by Penn from one of Pastor Dennis' sermons. What's amazing about this quote is that this is coming from a freaking atheist. After he says this quote, he continues to talk about how although he doesn't necessarily believe in God, he respects those who at least try to talk to him about God.

The other day, I was listening to another Tim Keller sermon. One of the things he said was: "The opposite of love is not anger. The opposite of love is indifference."

Both of these quotes have humbled me deeply, and coincidentally, both quotes pretty much go hand-in-hand. Why aren't we actively trying to evangelize the Gospel to our non-Christian friends? Is avoiding an awkward conversation really worth it? Do we really love ourselves so much that our insecurities about ourselves influence our actions? Or are we simply just indifferent?

For me, personally, it is so hard to be shameless about my identity in Christ. And for some reason, I can't come up with one good reason why.

Oh Lord give me strength.

-Simon

1 comment:

ChosenCho said...

hmm - great reminder.
btw - Tim keller came out with his reason for God DVD! I want to see it.. and the conversations lol