Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Prayer

Praying is so hard. I feel like my prayers these days have been so selfish. It's always about "fill me with the Holy Spirit, change me, mold me, make me more like Christ, me me me me ME." Of course I'm not saying that praying for those things are bad. I just haven't been praying for the church and the congregation, family, friends, nonbelievers, etc. I have just been concentrating on me so much.

But then we recently had a Bible study on prayer. It's not about praying for certain temporary circumstances and situations (although it is not wrong to), but it's to ultimately exalt Christ. And as I read Sarah Chong's blog on prayer, it made me think about the Lord's prayer and how perfect it is. Each sentence is filled with so much meaning. It's so straight forward.

Lastly, I loved Pastor Harold's analogy with prayer. It is like breathing. You inhale, and exhale. When you inhale, you are taking in Scripture. Then the natural response is to exhale, you pray.

-Simon

No comments: