Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Work

Many times throughout the week at work, I fantasize about just buying a plane ticket and bolting to Korea.  Every time I'm miserable at work, I hear the lyrics "Work sucks... I KNOW!" from Blink182.  I also dream about just quitting my job and looking for a more enjoyable job.  There are so many things I want to do and don't want to do.

I think the reason why I hate work so much is that I'm still young.  I'm freaking 23 years old, I have my whole life ahead of me, and I'm wasting it at work.  I guess that's why so many people just go back to school.  School is (surprisingly) more fun, it's comfortable, and you always have something to look forward to.  Richard and I used to (or maybe we still do) resent the college students because they're always so happy.  My theory is that it's because they always have something to look forward to: end of midterms, end of finals, winter/spring/summer breaks, job interviews, job hunting, the "real world".  Once you're in the "real world" and you're stuck at some job, you have nothing to look forward to except for maybe a promotion.  And that only comes once a year or two.

This summer was the first summer that I didn't have a summer break.  I felt so robbed when my receptionist left for her maternity leave (which means she gets a break for 2+ months), and my coworker left cause he had his baby born at the same time (which means he was gone for 3 weeks).  I had one short break in Korea, which felt like a tease since I had so much fun and time went by too quickly.

Nonetheless, I am thankful for a job.  I know there are many out there jobless and sad.  In the end, no matter what our circumstances are or what life-stages we're in, we will never be satisfied.  Colleges students hate school and want a job as soon as possible, young adults want to quit their job and go back to school, and everyone is just unhappy with their lives.

With that being said, let us look to the cross because the Gospel always puts things into perspective.  Christ is the only one who can fill this void.

No comments: